Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Create, relax, destroy

I've noticed there's a definite rhythm to how things get along. I remember some famous person once said "The way to become timelessly famous is to do something good and die young." Ok, they didn't actually say that. But it was to that point anyhow. I mean, look at it. There's those musicians who all died at 27, (Hendrix, Morrison and Joplin for starters, as well as Kurt Cobain, Brian Jones,and other non-27yr-old people )and then look at the movie stars (Monroe and Dean, Jean Harlow, Sharon Tate, Judy Tyler, River Phoenix,Heath Ledger) the writers and artists (Van Gogh,Georg Heym,John Keats, etc etc) and all those other people who were famous and died young. But somehow, you see the really intense artists dying young. The ones who let so much heap up on them they just died. So I've come up with a defense plan.

Create
Relax
Destroy.

Pretty self explanatory, really.

Oh, and in the meantime you'll have to excuse me for being a bad blogger and not saying anything for a week. We went to where golf was apparently invented (did you know the first golf clubs generally broke at the first putt?), and spent a lovely week in the wet, cold, rain, and small fish 'n chip shop eras.

On the other hand, I met my dear cousin. He's.....interesting. You know how you find those really intense, melancholic, trippy people who have a hard time relaxing and you're all interested, but then you realize that however deep they might think they are, they're still in the same fix as everyone else (or you) and they also can't lighten up, and then you get all bored with them and sum them up as a psychonautic college student at too young an age? Exactly. And plus, he's a bit romantic and reads too much philosophy. It can't be healthy. But on top of that, he's a cool guy,and I think he'll get somewhere. Also he knew what Psilocybe semilanceata was, which gives him a good many points.

But other then all that, it's been a good time here, and I hope I'll get to come back some day. I mean, for now I know I want to go to art school, and travel with a few good friends, including going backpacking across Asia with Mer my love, but after that, I'm utterly lost. I was thinking about maybe interior decorating---I mean, my holy grail of 'structured' jobs would be a tattooing artist, but god, you have to be good. A few people have suggested going into fashion. Now, that sounds good and all, but you have to be
A) attractive
B) I'm guessing skinny as well
C) very competitive
D) totally into it
E) ready to do anything to have it
F) a good fashion sense, obviously
G) edge as well as a super good idea of fashion in general
not to mention
H) Lots of money.

So I just don't know about fashion, ya know? If anyone who knows me reads this, they know my uniform is jeans, a t shirt, a headband, a jumper and a scarf. Yeah. That's what I wear. Also I hate heels.

Anyhow, I'm gonna start my first 'real' AKA structured art course next month. I'm probably gonna hate it and moan and groan, just like I did over french, not get down what I'm supposed to, almost flunk, etc, but get a overall understanding of my subject, just like the aforementioned french. But it should be pretty cool. I mean, an example of a test was writing an essay about an art concept on a four-sided-cube. Who even does that?

So I'm gonna start on my portfolio. Groan. That means extra homework, which merits another good groan just for itself. I already have a reading list a page long, which I'll post on here eventually, but now I'm having to add a whole new 'art and art history' section to it. This means some serious coffee, people. This means lots of working at night and sitting on the floor at 3 AM in the middle of a huge stack of books, scribbling notes furiously. This means coercing MerMer to model for me, and grinning at people while I ignore them, reading art books at lunch breaks. This is a HASSLE, pure and simple, but I'm gonna do it, and no amount of angry Grants and broken pencils are going to stop me.

Of course me Mum wants me to go into journalism, but seriously, going on from writing essays of pure bullshit to writing bullshit so refined it flops on the floor like a puddle of mud after graduation just makes me go a little mad. I don't think I could sit down at a desk every day and clack away about how Mr. Man, who is very kind (in real life he's a pedo), donated 200 dollars to a local pound. It just makes me really, really annoyed already. Which is not a good sign. On the other hand, I think I could do wedding planning or interior decoration quite nicely. I think I could go to work and sit around and show my customers confusing samples of linen napkins "Eggshell or cream, darling?" allllll day long. Or perhaps put on a pair of overalls and paint a room, or apply gold leaf to cabinet handles. Yes, I think that would work quite nicely. Also, there's not that much structure to it. I just can't handle structure that well.

Ok I don't know what got me started on that, but whatever it was, I'm dropping it now. It's time for me to go and take a nice hot shower and have a nice cup of hot cocoa. Ahhhh.

Anyhow, so when you feel like you're about to collapse and die from being overworked, do what I [don't] do. Get out your pens and papers, ladies and gentlemen.

Create, Relax, Destroy.

(Thanks for listening!)

No comments:

Post a Comment